Thursday, July 26, 2007


Katie Meyers

Self and Unit Evaluation (Unit Four)

REGARDING YOUR OWN PERFORMANCE

1. What were the three aspects of the assignments I've submitted that I am most proud of?

I am proud of how I put together the main lab project. By doing so, I gained skills with a digital camera I did not know I could possess. Also, I was grateful of how well everything fell together.

I am proud of my essay. Though it is shorter than the other ethical essays I wrote in this class, I was happy of how it turned out, given the time devoted towards it.

I was so happy I managed the last compendium review of the class! It was on more material than we have had to deal with in one compendium for awhile, and I was nervous as to how long it would end up taking me to put it together. However, it took a lot less time than I feared, and I am very grateful my "compendium skills" have improved sufficiently to make such reviews easier for me to put together.

2. What two aspects of my submitted assignments do I believe could have used some improvement?

I should have done more research on my ethical essay, despite that it turned out alright the way it is. It would have been nice to have gone into more detail.

I am afraid as to how well I categorized the "relationships among species" in my main project. Some of them were a little difficult to decide, and although I tried my best, I am not entirely sure if they are all correct. Hopefully they are close, if nothing else!

3. What do I believe my overall grade should be for this unit?

I am hoping for an A- or A, but whatever the teacher would like to give me is acceptable.

4. How could I perform better in the next unit?

Well, as there are no more units, I will take all that I learned in this class, from human biology information, to new and improved study techniques, and use them to better my future in college (I hope). :)

REGARDING THE UNIT (adapted from Stephen Brookfield, University of St. Thomas "Critical Incident Questionnaire")
  1. At what moment during this unit did you feel most engaged with the course?

    I felt the most engaged when I was doing my main lab project. Again, this brought the reality of the unit to life for me and helped the concepts better sink into my brain.

  2. At what moment unit did you feel most distanced from the course? I never felt much distanced from the course. The closest I ever got was when I was doing all the reading in the textbook for the last week.
  3. What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit that find most affirming and helpful?

    I am very grateful that our last lab project was not as hard as some of the other ones! It made the end of the course easier to deal with and cram in by the deadline.

  4. What action that anyone (teacher or student) took during this unit did you find most puzzling or confusing?

    There was nothing that anybody did that puzzled or confused me.

  5. What about this unit surprised you the most? (This could be something about your own reactions to the course, something that someone did, or anything else that occurs to you.)
I was surprised about the ethical issues essay. When I first saw what it was about, I confess it did not sound terribly interesting. However, when I began reading on the subject before writing my essay, I found it to be an intensely interesting learning experience that was very enjoyable. Thanks! :)

2 comments:

Larry Frolich said...

Katie,
First off, the cat photo is a classic. The essay is extremely thoughtful, as are your adjectives for the two kinds of demographics. The compendium work is flawless and great graphics included. You have a super scholarly and academic talent—keep it up and good luck with all you do.
LF

By the way, did you create your own blog format, or did you use a Blogger one that I haven’t seen, or import a format? I really like its simplicity—let me know,
LF

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Celular, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://telefone-celular-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Studying for Bio

Studying for Bio
Me and my dog, Indy